I live in Michigan. It’s cold here. Soup comforts me. So I make soup. I have to say, this is one of the best soups I have ever, ever had. Made it in about 20 minutes and cooked it in my instant pot for 2 hours.
I have also made it in my slow cooker and on high it cooks for about 4 hours.
I got an instant pot just before Christmas. I have made soups, desserts, tapioca pudding and for New Years Eve I made Chinese spare ribs. But this soup beats all.
Best thing about it? It is Low calorie, Gluten free, Paleo, Celiac, Dairy Free, Plant based Vegan, and Vegetarian. But it doesn’t have to be. One time I substituted the Vegan Apple Sage Sausage links with Italian sausage.
Give credit where credit is due, I originally got the recipe from my new friends at: https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/best cabbage-soup-ever/
Cabbage Soup – Best Ever
3 potatoes rough diced
2 large carrots diced
2 stalks of celery diced
1 small onion diced
1/2 to 1 head green cabbage rough chopped
1 can diced tomatoes with juice (about 14.5 ounces) ( I use a quart of my home canned whole roma tomatoes and dice them).
2-4 Vegan Apple Sage Sausage links chopped (I like lots of sausage in mine)
1 quart of vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper ground
1/2 – 1 tsp. Grains of Paradise (optional) but I just LOVE this spice. It is available on Amazon.
Instructions for instant pot:
- Place all the ingredients in the instant pot.
- Cover the with the lid and turn the lid clockwise to lock into place. Align the pointed end of the steam release handle to point to “Venting.”
- Press “Slow Cook”, adjust the heat to high then change the time to 2 hours.
- When time is up, open the lid of the instant pot.
- Serve with whole grain bread, crackers or whatever your specific diet allows.
Instructions for slow cooker:
- Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover with the lid and turn on high.
- Cook for 4 hours or until the vegetables are as tender as you like.
Note: I don’t like to leave this to simmer all day. Personal preference. I don’t like mushy cabbage.
Try different sausages if you are not vegetarian.
Message me or comment please. Is this not the most wonderful soup in the world?